Friday, September 2, 2011

Helen V Smith

I have yet to meet Australian genealogist, Helen Smith, but feel as if I know her reasonably well due to her activity on social networking sites and as a blogger. I appreciate Helen's responses to my posts in various forums.

Hopefully some day soon our paths will cross. Maybe someone in Sydney will invite Helen down to give some of her medically flavoured genealogy talks.

Thanks to this very busy lady for sharing her profile on GeniMates.


Date: June 2011
Name: Helen V Smith
Hometown: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist? Both

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?
Halfway through a Certificate in Genealogical Studies-English Records with National Institute of Genealogical Studies,Informally I read everything I can and subscribe to most family history magazines. There is so much information available now reading people’s blogs. I listen to as many podcasts as possible (my iPod Touch is my great friend while driving) and while travelling for work. I learn from webinars. I attend as many conferences and presentations as work and finances will allow. I know you never stop learning and it is so much fun!

How long have you been chasing ancestors?
Since 1986

How did you get hooked on genealogy?
My Mother lamented the fact she had never known her Grandfather, George Howard Busby. I decided to see what I could find out, found some information and a newspaper photo of him, became hooked and have been addicted ever since.

What is your day job?
Molecular epidemiologist

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?
Queensland, Kent, Oxfordshire, England, Medical History and One Name Studies

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups:
  •  I have been a member of Genealogical Society of Queensland since late 1980’s and have been a Committee member. 
  • I have been a member of Southern Suburbs Branch of Genealogical society of Queensland since round 1998 and have been a committee member for many of those years.
  • I am currently a member of Queensland Family History Society, Oxfordshire FHS Society, Kent FHS, Society of Genealogists and the Guild of One Name Studies (registered name Quested) and am currently the Queensland Regional Representative for the Guild.

What are the lands of your ancestors?
Australia, England and Ireland

What Family Names are you Researching?
Quested, Amos, Busby, Carter, Courtenay, Culley, Cullicoat, Drury, Evans, Feeny,Filmer, Hamer, Howard, Jelley, Joy, Lewis, Longley, Meridith, Millen, Morgan, Moyle, Nicholls, Philpott, Plumridge, Robinson, Rollason, Smith, Spargo, Spear, Weeks, White, Wills

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why?
Depends who I am researching at the time but I always have a soft spot for George Howard Busby, first because he was the cause of my starting family history so we started this addiction together and secondly because he did so many interesting things. He joined the Cape Mounted Rifles in the Boer War, was in the 15th Battalion at Gallipoli, as well had served in the Ambulance Brigade and the Fire Brigade. He also worked as a Press photographer in late 1920-early 1930s.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why?
I have been lucky enough to visit most of my ancestral areas except the family areas in Ireland. Ancestral memory may linger as I felt instantly at home in Coombe , Oxfordshire where the Busby family pretty much were related to everyone in the village.

What is your favourite resource for genealogy?
Hmm very hard to pick just one. Trove in Australia, GENUKI in England,FamilySearch and then there are the pay sites for many of which I have subscriptions.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper? Yes
Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree?
The Master Genealogist and also use Legacy

Do you have your tree posted on the internet? Yes
If Yes What is the URL? Currently on Ancestry

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy?
• Ancestry• Facebook• GenealogyWise• LinkedIn• MyHeritage• Twitter

Do you have a blog? Several
What are your blogs' URLs?
http://helenvsmithresearch.blogspot.com
http://historicalmedical.blogspot.com
http://kentresearch.blogspot.com
http://questedonenamestudy.blogspot.com/

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests?
Writing, reading, playing with new tech toys, social history, medical history

What is your favourite leisure time activity apart from genealogy?
Reading

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book?
Have too many to list. Books have been favoured companions for many years and have over ten thousand at home. I read everything except horror.

What is your personal philosophy in a few words ?
Do your best, live life to the fullest. Pay it forward.

If you have anything else to share please add it below.
Life is a journey linked from the past to the future. Live it, enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment