Saturday, June 4, 2011

Carmel Reynen

Our newest GeniMate, Carmel has recently joined Twitter, to see what she has to say follow @CarmelReynen . Carmel was one of the first people to join the Australian Genealogists group on Genealogy Wise and has offered some good advice to members there. Since she joined up I have been keeping up with her via GenealogyWise and her blog..

Thanks to this very busy lady for submitting her profile to GeniMates.

Date  21 May 2011
Name  Carmel Reynen
Hometown  Haddon, Victoria, Australia

Are you a Hobbyist or Professional Genealogist? Hobbyist

What is your day job?  Enquiry officer in a call centre

How long have you been chasing ancestors?  33 years

How did you get hooked on genealogy? I believe it started at primary school when we did some study on the gold rush and I found I had gold mining ancestors. Also my grandmothers told stories.

What, if any, formal or informal studies have you undertaken that are relevant to genealogical research?
No formal studies.

What are your areas of Expertise in Genealogy?  I often think I am not an expert. That is until I help someone with obvious things and they are so happy and cannot believe I was able to find things.
I find Victoria Australia is where most of my experience lies, but cemeteries, and looking at things in an ordered way. I have had people come to me saying so and so was a family member can you help me find out how? Well it is not starting at that person but yourself.

I guess it is all the experience that makes me an "expert" in many areas but definitely not all.

Please outline your involvement in Genealogy Societies and Groups. I am involved with the Ballarat and District Genealogical Society, in fact was an original member but left for a number of years because of work and family commitments. Now Editor of the quarterly newsletter "Link"
I have also been involved in the digitisation of Smythesdale Cemetery.
Have photographed many cemeteries now on line.
Have done a lot of Data Entry of Records for on line.
Helped many people, and attend Family History Days to assist.
Given talks at family history days.
I am also involved in a number of genealogical lists that are slowing now in popularity

What are the lands of your ancestors? England, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark,
my husband is Dutch

What Family Names are you Researching? Barwise, Woodhead, Walkeden, Nolan, Murphy, Butler, Johnson (Swedish!) Petersen,(Danish) Reynen (Reijnen, Dutch) Strybosch (Strijbosch Dutch) Royle, Fox, Mossop. just to name a few!

Who is your favourite ancestor? Why? I have a number of very interesting ancestors, from convicts, councillors, pioneers, bigamists, etc. I could not really name a favourite but love it when I can find things on their lives which will bring them to life.
Newspapers are coming on line and it can be surprising what you can find.
I can say there are a couple I don't really like but think maybe there is something that will redeem their faults.

What ancestral city or town would you like to visit? Why? All of them. I would like to go to St Bees in Cumbria, there is a house there that is still in the family and has been since at least 1548!

What is your favourite resource for genealogy? Birth Death and marriage indexes, newspapers, census, electoral rolls, wills, inquests.

Do you keep your genealogy files on paper? Yes
Do you keep your genealogy files on a computer? Yes

What genealogy software do you use to record your family tree? I use Family tree Maker and have done for years, my husband bought it for me for my birthday one year and I have continued to update it.
I also use Ancestry.com as I can easily share it all with Family and have found a number of others related either directly or with some who married into my family. They often have records I have not got and visa versa

Do you have your tree posted on the internet?  Yes
If Yes What is the URL?  Ancestry.com

What Social Networking Sites do you use for genealogy? Ancestry, Facebook, GenealogyWise

Do you have a blog? Yes
What are your blogs' URLs? http://www.google.com/url?q=http://myfamilyhunt.blogspot.com/&usd=2&usg=ALhdy2_E2qfvFc-Nwk3wVdUuEbxALGjHOw

What are your Other Hobbies, Activities, Interests? I have 5 children, 6 Grandchildren (so far) and work 2 hrs travelling time from home. I do not really get time for other things, but want to travel at some stage.

What is your favourite lesiure time activity apart from genealogy? Family get togethers

What is your favourite (non genealogy) book? Mysts of Avalon

What is your personal philosophy in a few  words ? To treat everyone as an individual and as they would treat me. I am not going to like everyone but I will most people I meet.

You never know who you may find you are related to.

If you have anything else to share please add it below.

No comments:

Post a Comment